Job Application: Senior Scientist ‘Health Innovation Assessment’
Panaxea is an independent health care research organization dedicated to improving the application of evidence throughout the health care system. Panaxea produces reports evaluating the (cost-)effectiveness and value of new treatments, tests, and delivery system interventions. These reports have strongly influenced R&D programs and strategic market access decisions of manufacturers as well as insurance coverage policies and guidelines, while gaining prominence within debates over the sustainability of health care systems. Panaxea thrives on the entrepreneurial spirit of its employees to empower patients, health care providers and organizations, industry and policymakers in their request for better experience and outcomes at lower costs. In everything we do, our organization seeks to foster an honest public dialogue about the evidence on effectiveness and value, and to translate this evidence in action to improve patient care.
Panaxea is looking to expand its team, which includes a diverse set of researchers and policy experts. We are seeking a Senior Scientist ‘Health Innovation Assessment’ to help lead the health innovation assessment activities that serve as the backbone of all our work. For details on the specific responsibilities and minimum qualifications please read further.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer of Panaxea, the position requires a senior and accomplished individual of exceptional calibre. The ideal candidate is a health care provider trained in medicine or nursing who has Ph.D. level training in clinical epidemiology and/or a compelling personal record of work in the fields of health technology assessment, pharmaco-epidemiology, clinical epidemiology and/or health services & policy research. Individuals without a medical or nursing training but with training and extensive experience in these research fields will also be considered. Given the leadership role envisioned for this position, it requires a person of unquestionable integrity, with exceptional communications and presentation skills, and an ability to engage with and influence a broad range of stakeholders.
The Senior Scientist ‘Health Innovation Assessment’ will be responsible for leading and co-leading teams conducting rigorous analyses and critical appraisals of published evidence across a wide range of diagnostic, prognostic, therapeutic and other clinical and organizational interventions, as well as summarizing results, producing reports, and consulting on development of guidelines, policies, and other approaches to implement Panaxea’s findings. While leadership of other research staff is on a project-specific basis, direct and permanent reporting to the Senior Scientist will be considered based on prior management experience. This role will involve moderation of meetings associated with Panaxea’s work program and a leadership role affording the opportunity to guide high-level policy discussions of the interpretation and application of evidence throughout the health care system. As Panaxea works internationally, we expect the Senior Scientist to have experience and knowledge of different health care systems.
- Provide methodological, strategic, and potentially clinical leadership in developing Panaxea’s work program
- Contribute to the reputation of Panaxea by fostering the highest level of cooperation, integrity, objectivity, responsiveness, and overall transparency in the analysis of evidence on health care interventions.
- Provide leadership and supervision on multiple complex projects in coordination with the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Scientific Office and Chief Innovation Officer, including preparing reports synthesizing analytical results and highlighting implications of findings for patients, health care providers, payers, industry, policymakers, and other stakeholders.
- Consult with Chief Executive Officer, Chief Scientific Officer, and Chief Innovation Officer to formulate key clinical questions for evidence-based evaluation, including identifying medical conditions, populations, health interventions for comparative analysis, and health outcomes.
- Conduct and oversee the work of others on evidence summaries, systematic reviews, meta-analyses, and cost-effectiveness and other analyses to answer high-impact clinical questions; critically evaluate the research methods and statistical findings of health outcome studies retrieved from the medical literature; and use established frameworks and tools to evaluate, grade and summarize the quality of evidence.
- Disseminate the findings of evidence reviews through written reports and verbal presentations of the evidence to senior leaders and other clinical and operational stakeholders.
- Assist with generation of evidence-based clinical recommendations and policies related to the use of new and existing medical technologies (e.g. procedures, equipment, devices, diagnostics and selected pharmacologic agents), clinical interventions for medical conditions affecting large populations as well as new care models.
- Lead investigation of evidence-based information from clinical guideline statements, payer coverage policies, guidance from other health technology assessment organizations, and other sources relevant to the technologies and innovations of interest.
- Educate and provide consultation on evidence-based methods to research staff and advisory board members of Panaxea’s programs, and other interested stakeholders.
Minimum Educational Requirements
A Ph.D. degree or equivalent career experience in clinical epidemiology, pharmaco-epidemiology, public health, biostatistics, health technology assessment is required. Training in medicine (MD) or nursing (RN) is strongly preferred.
Minimum seven (7) or more years of experience in conducting health technology assessments, academic systematic reviews of the medical literature, or similar work requiring critical evaluation of medical evidence. Candidates must be outstanding writers, able to write clearly and cogently without requiring editorial assistance, and must be facile editors of the drafts of others. The scope of writing will include a wide range of material, including different versions of technical evidence reports and health policy briefs. Candidates must be able to demonstrate substantial experience in the critical evaluation of evidence, including the ability to critique the research methods and statistical findings of published studies in order to rate the overall strength of evidence underlying an analysis of comparative effectiveness. Candidates should be able to demonstrate experience in leading discussions among multiple stakeholders.
- Experience in the interpretation of applied quantitative research methods, analysis and biostatistics (including meta-analysis and cost-effectiveness analysis).
- A strong track record of mentorship of research staff.
- Analytical, consulting and project management experience, including demonstrated ability to determine the key areas of controversy in a clinical area, to conceptualize the appropriate project scope, and to develop appropriate action plans from multidisciplinary perspectives.
- The highest levels of personal initiative, attention to detail, and independent work.
- Efficiency, collaboration, candor, openness, results orientation and a commitment to a consultative approach to decision-making.
Panaxea offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
It is not intended that the above listed duties reflect every job duty, responsibility or task that the employee may be called upon to perform. The employee is expected to perform all job-related duties and tasks assigned by his/her supervising manager or authorized manager.
Interested candidates should e-mail their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org; please also include contact information should we wish to schedule an interview.